The Emerald Zone Corporation is leading a partnership with the Town of Baie Verte, Rambler Mines and Minerals, and Anaconda Mines to produce a feasibility study to develop a multi-use port within the Baie Verte area. The outputs would be a comprehensive scoping study to identify port location, uses, users and cost. Outcomes of this multi-use port include:
- Trucking copper concentrate to a port on the BV Peninsula will enable Rambler Mines to process at a lower grade thus lengthening the life of the mine and benefiting the area.
- Anaconda is using an open pit and generating a massive amount of aggregate that could easily be shipped out of province and create a number of jobs. Where the rock is less than a km from the proposed port, cost per ton should be competitive with the world and it is considered a green product which has zero sulphides.
- When Rambler expands and builds a new mill on site, the Nugget Pond mill will be available to do custom milling again and ore from anywhere in the world could be shipped through this port and reduce the per ton shipping cost, thus allowing a much lower grade ore to be shipped in.
- Quarry sites on Burlington Highway and La Scie Highway would be activated for exporting Armour Stone.
- Modular Homes from La Scie would be shipped worldwide.
- Sealand Diesel Marine would be repairing large ships locally instead of the owner having to leave town to go to docked ships.
- This port could open up the BV Peninsula to Cruise Ship traffic as well.