The Cross Roads: the biography of a traffic island
The traffic island at the end of Water Street, where Old Topsail and Waterford Bridge roads begin, hasn't always been what it is today. Since 1813, this piece of land has been managed by people. It has been leased, granted, sold, and expropriated. It has been cultivated, and has held the foundation for a house, a tavern, and a store. People have arrived at this piece of land on foot, on horseback, and in horse-drawn vehicles, automobiles, streetcars, and buses. This seemingly inert piece of land has been witness to, and occasionally unwilling participant in, the evolution of St John's, and specifically of the West End. An article with the above title appeared in The Newfoundland Quarterly, Winter 2013/2014, 6 (3), 33-38.
30 Nov -0001
Strategic Research Theme
Creative Arts, Culture and Heritage